Ooh La La in Houston

I went to Ooh La La... but for me it was an "Ooh No No"...


I had the red velvet and caramel apple cupcake, among others... the typical overpriced storefront cupcake - which I DO NOT mind paying for a great cupcake :-)


The red velvet was, simply put, dry. I bought it at noon (and was told that it was just made that morning). The cream cheese frosting was life threatening. It had a jet-puffed marshmallow feel in the throat when trying to swallow. I had a slight panic attack that I might in fact suffocate (not the great intense cream cheesy-ness flavor to it that I so enjoy, either).


The caramel apple cake was moist and the soft apple filling baked on the bottom was both texturally and tastefully welcome (just wish there had been an even layer of it along the bottom). The caramel frosting was superb, however the "salted caramel" was a bit overdone... if I didn't strategically bite through the cupcake with purpose then the salt came up and choked me into a bad memory of the Gulf coast when I was a kid and took in the salt-water.







Sweet and salty definitely has it's place... just ask Alton Brown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGjcuFzSkqE&feature=related


Sidenote: I bought other treats there: cheesecake (just ok), lemon bar (just ok, my sister Patty makes better), and their Chocolate Chewy cookie (which was YUMMILICIOUS)...

No comments:

Post a Comment